The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there . . . and still on your feet." SK

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Read, Read, Wine

I am pulling from my inner Beckett here, so this may not make a lot of sense. There are lots of things currently flowing through my head (as you can tell by the title). Consider yourself warned.  
Read, Read, Wine you make me feel so fine . . . I am an escapist. I feel I always have been. That's why I love to read. That's why I love SK. I get so caught up in the stories that I forget about me, my life, and sometimes I like it that way. It makes me feel so fine . . .One of the things that I have wanted to do is read more. I used to read all of the time, but when your job is to read things until your eyes cross some of the luster wears off. But, since I am not currently "working," I have had time to read. Moments ago I finished Just After Sunset. It is a series of short stories (my favorite), and many of them are set in Florida. SK has a home in Sarasota and so reading these stories puts me there. I have been to the places he is referring to and these places bring up wonderful memories for me (although that isn't always the case for SK's characters).

The last time I was in Florida it was with my friend (see previous blog). He has been on my mind a lot lately and I don't really know why. So, reading these stories about places that I have seen and been to connects me to the memories--it also connects me to the story. I got to escape, even if only for a brief moment to a different time and place. SK has an amazing way of making that happen. We all have our gifts and writing is definitely his. Thank God for that.

The minute I closed the book I had a thousand thoughts running through my head. I thought about the story. I thought about how much I have missed reading. I thought about homophones (read/red). I thought about you-know-who. I thought about literature. I thought about Beckett. I thought about escaping, about how I use books and movies to do that. I thought about how much I want to make things happen. I thought about how I need to find a job. I thought about what's next . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment