The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there . . . and still on your feet." SK

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Um, Nothing

*Warning: This may seem offensive to some.*

So, the last few weeks have been less than eventful, unless you count all of the awful things that keep happening, but I'm not. I have been thinking about what I can do to have a new experience--you know, I need writing material until the good stuff comes. So I thought and thought and thought and thought and wasn't coming up with anything. Then, as I was sitting at my computer one night a commercial for eharmony came on.

This is where the potentially offensive part comes in.

I think the whole online dating thing is kind of a joke. For me it reeks of desperation. I am one of those people that thinks you will get what you are supposed to have you just need to have some patience. Of course online dating is going to be successful. People want someone to want them. If two people sign up for online dating they are in the same place as far as what they are looking for, right? Now, don't get me wrong, I have had plenty of friends who have met wonderful people online and gone on to have wonderful relationships. However, it is just not something I think I could tell other people I did. This does not make me an elitist, so don't be offended. It is just a personal choice.

But, the other night I was sitting here and that stupid commercial came on . . . and so I got online and took the compatibility quiz. Hmmmm. Well, twenty-some-odd minutes later I had been questioned and they had found seven people who they thought I was compatible with. SEVEN. At first I was like seriously? And then I thought I am really just not compatible with other people. I know this and I got a little giggle out of it.

24 hours later

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, incessant dinging. Within 24 hours I had been matched with over 70 men from Fort Wayne. Um, I didn't even know there were 70 single men in Fort Wayne--I do now. I got back online and looked to see what they had found for me, and I came to realize that they had gotten my compatible matches on the fact that I don't smoke, I don't care if people drink, I go to the gym every day, and I like movies. Um, I kinda feel like there has to be more to it than that. I am a person who can tell within about 5 minutes if I can stand to spend time with someone else. I don't really base my feelings on whether or not someone else goes to the gym.

So, after the incessant dinging I couldn't stand it anymore and I had to delete it. I had to. Yes, I could have made the dinging stop, but really I don't want to base my relationship on the fact that I don't smoke, I can read, and I go to the gym. Um, no thank you. But, you know what's awesome about it? I learned that there are single people in Fort Wayne, AND I have something else I can say I did--even if it was only for 24 hours ;)

2 comments:

  1. Plus it seems to me that ACTUALLY going to the gym is going to be a better matchmaking site for YOU than eharmony! Hey getting to watch the hot guy work out (or hold the door for you :)) is way better than having him enter it into the computer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy both the hot guy who told his friends I was his ex-girlfriend (because they thought I was hot and wanted to know who I was) and my little stud muffin "holding the door open" for me equally.

    And like you said, anyone can put in the computer that they work out every day, but I want proof ;)

    ReplyDelete